Sunday, September 11, 2011

Football Fever

 So I planned on posting this before that embarrassing showing the Falcons displayed this afternoon, but as usual, I was late.  I am totally bummed because we all were wearing our Falcons gear (Eli was in black and red because his Falcons outfit is for 9 months), but the game started before I was able to snap a family shot and before the game was over Mark had already removed his jersey in disgust and in hopes that it somehow may be able to change their luck.  Unfortunately that was not the case and none of us were in the mood to snap the Falcon family shot after the game.  I was able to get a picture of Eli sleeping through the Pre-Game show so all was not lost.  So here is to hoping that the Falcons decide to show up next weekend and the Harper household will once again be happy. 

Now on to the post I wanted to post earlier...

Football fever has begun.  In my “Before Mark” days, I remember enjoying football.  I was never a HUGE fan but wouldn’t mind watching the game when it was on and I never missed a big game.  In my “Dating Mark” days, I dreaded football season.  Football season starts at the draft for Mark.  I still to this day do not understand the fascination with having to actually WATCH the draft.  I mean maybe the first couple picks but after that what is the point?  You will find out eventually who was picked for what teams and who was not.  But I will get off my soap box and simply leave it as something I will never understand.  While dating, I thought of football season as the thing that took my boyfriend away and distracted him enough that we were never able to do anything.  Not only would we have to watch Mark’s heart and soul the Falcons play but we would have to watch EVERY game so that he could cheer on all of his fantasy football players.  At the time that included every Sunday football game and Monday night football, not to mention the countless hours he would spend researching each player and making trades.

I am not sure when it began to change, probably shortly after we were married, but Mark began to realize how his obsession made me despise football all together and I began to realize that I was hating something that I actually used to enjoy (I am sure this had nothing to do with my stubborn attitude-ha).  Actually, looking back at it, I think things began to change when the Falcons picked up Matt Ryan.  I guess I could thank Matt Ryan for peace and enjoyment during football season in the Harper household...lol!  Mark still plays fantasy football but keeps the endless hours of research to a minimum and only requires us to watch the Falcons games, which I am totally stoked about because I have grown to love watching each and every game.  During the day I find myself looking up stats on the Falcons and doing research on their next opponent.  I even find myself watching sports center WITHOUT Mark and pride myself for finding out about something before he knows and being the one that tells him something about football.  Although Mark only requires the Falcon game be watched we usually end up watching every game we get televised, which means we end up spending 3 days a week watching football; hence the title of this post “Football Fever”. 

I am not ashamed to say that I am totally excited for football season, and even more excited to introduce Eli to the Falcons.  It goes without saying that Eli will undoubtfully be a Falcons fan.

On Saturday we had the college football games on and Eli say in his little Bumbo chair with FULL attention on the game!


So it appears it has already begun....it must be part of his genes!!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I do not blame him for wanting to sleep through the train wreck yesterday with our Falcons!! One thing good came out of the day...u & Eli looked adorable in your Falcons attire. I will have to find him a smaller Falcon clothes.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate! Jeff will make a "count down to the draft" telling me every week how many weeks left till the big day. And if, God for bid he wasn't home to watch it, he would tape it to watch later. I love football, but boys take it to a whole other level :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete