Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Mom Memories"

So I found a little treasure today while cleaning out the office at my parents' house.  As most, if not all, of you know my mom passed away on December 23rd last year from brain cancer.  What I have learned since then (after cleaning out rooms, closets, etc. trying to make room for Eli, Mark and I to move in temporarily) is that my mother did not throw away ANYTHING!!!  I have never before seen so much stuff.  It has been fun finding little pieces of her scattered throughout the house.  There is not a thing in the house that mother has not put her personal touch on.

Anyways, back to my "little treasure" I found.  While cleaning out the desk in the office I found a note pad with 3 pages of numbered memories in my mother's handwriting.  The title at the top of the list is "Mom Memories" obviously referring to my Grandma Taylor.  When I asked my dad if he knew what the list was from or when she wrote it, he said that he had never seen it before.  Since we were never able to get my mom to write anything down after she was diagnosed (that ability was affected by the tumor) we are pretty confident that these were written some time before her diagnosis but probably not too much before because they were found in the desk that my dad had made only a few years prior. Some of these memories I have never heard before, but I am sure my mom's side of the family will enjoy reminiscing with my mother.  One thing is abundantly clear, my mother learned how to be a wonderful mother because of HER wonderful mother!  Love you Grandma!  Enjoy!

Mom Memories

1.) I remember standing in the bathroom while you put my hair in a ponytail & wrapping my hair around a wire "bun".
2.) I remember walking outside buck naked complaining my bath water was too hot.
3.) I remember playing with Snoopy when I had chicken pox.  Then Snoopy ended up with chicken pox.
4.) I remember bringing in a bunch of "cute" white worms in the house to show you and they ended up being magets.
5.) I remember you getting me all dressed up to go to a country music show on vacation and falling in the pool.
6.) I remember Carol cutting her eye open while in Branson.
7.) I remember if we knocked you off your raft in the pool on vacation we would be in "BIG" trouble.
8.) I remember sneaking olives down to the playroom in the basement.
9.) I remember watching you take laundry out of the freezer and ironing it.
10.) I remember you humming loudly when I would ask to do something and you said No.
11.) I remember being a flower girl in Aunt Bonnie's wedding & not dropping very many petals.  I just dumped my whole basket when I reached the front of the church.
12.) I remember when Tonja and I would have matching Easter dresses.
13.) I remember having a little purse covered in plastic with a flower and bee inside.
14.) I remember your face when I was crowned Homecoming Queen.
15.) I remember Tommy telling dad that the wheel on the back of the van was going round and round.
16.) I remember staying at Mrs. Chambers house.
17.) I remember visiting Grandpa and Grandma Peterson's house.
18.) I remember spending summers with Grandma and Grandpa Shoffner.
19.) I remember dressing Grandma and Grandpa Shoffner's barn cats in doll clothes & pushing them around in a carriage.
20.) I remember riding on the tractor with Grandpa Shoffner.
21.) I remember fishing with Grandpa Shoffner in the "strip pits".  We usually had to sneak in.
22.) I remember playing on Grandpa's school bus with Tonja and Teresa.
23.) I remember riding with Grandma when she pretended to be running out of gas.
24.) I remember putting on Christmas shows with Tonja and Teresa.
25.) I remember an Easter bunny cake Grandma made covered with cocunut.
26.) I remember going to cheer leading camp & coming home to a "brand new" bedroom.
27.) I remember sitting on a tall stool and counting "red-wigglers".
28.) I remember freaking out my class when I brought a two-headed worm to school.
29.) I remember getting bucked off "Sugar" and her stepping on my back.
30.) I remember helping you and grandma make plaster plaques with images from cards. 
31.) I remember watching you getting Grandma so tickled she would wet her pants.
32.) I remember when you used to use me when you had to go to the bathroom while shopping.
33.) I remember how beautiful you looked on my wedding day.
34.) I remember feeding giraffes marshmallows at the zoo.
35.) I remember spending our summers on the farm.
36.) I remember when a pig peed in Randy's boot.  Also, when Sugar stole his handkerchief out of his back pocket.
37.) I remember how you were always a mother to all of my friends.  They really appreciated it.  I was proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment